Located in the Lef-Bank of the Garonne River in the Pessac Leognan appellation, the history of the Chateau dates back to the 14th century when Verrier du Bosq signed the first registration of planting a few row of vineyards in the property in a gravelly plateau named Lafitte.
In the mid 18th century George Smith a Scottish wine merchant acquired the property and name it after himself. In 1842 the Chateau change hands one more time and the Mayor of Bordeaux Lodi Martin Duffour-Dubergier acquires the property.
Duffour-Dubergier was also the official signer of the official 1855 classification, and during its administration Smith Haut Lafitte status was elevated to Grand Cru Exceptionnel.
The wine negociant Louis Eschenauer bought the estate in 1958, and sold it in 1990 to the Cathiard Family, the current owners of the Chateau. The extensive renovations of the cellars and vineyards took 3 years to be completed, and the results started to show in the wines after the 2000 vintage.
Smith Haut Lafitte is one of the few Chateaux that has their own cooperage and produce 70% of their barrels needs.
The estate farms 67 hectares of red grapes, planted with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, and 11 hectares of white grapes planted mainly with Sauvignon Blanc, and a small production of around 5% of Sauvignon Gris and Semillon.
In total the Chateau produces 6 wines, 2 grand vins (red and white), 2 second wines (Le Petit Haut Lafitte red and white) and 2 third wines (Les Hauts de Smith red and white).
Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc 2010
The grand vin white is made from 38 years old vines
The grapes are pressed in an oxygen-free environment (to preserve the aromatic potential of the berries) and fermentation takes place in French oak barrels
(50% new oak) after a cold settling of the juices.
The wine ages for 12 months on the lees with constant lees stirring, 50% in new french oak and 50% in barrels used in the previous vintage.
The 2010 is a blend of 90% Sauvignon Blanc, 5% Sauvignon Gris, 5% Semillon.